Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Gravity bites


They grow up so fast...this week found me trying to teach my precious three-year-old about the laws of gravity. This resulted from her attempts to fly--and her profound disappointment when she learned she couldn't. She was riding her beloved stick horse around the house (a common enough occurance) but this time she kept standing on things, jumping off (stick horse between her legs), then collasping in a mini-tantrum yelling "I want my feet UP!!!!" It took a few rounds of this before I realized that she wanted to ride around on her horse, off the ground.

It's a little sad to have to teach your baby about the rules of the world. Especially when those rules mean that she can't fly. Who wants to hear that? Sometimes as a parent you feel like the Great Crusher of Dreams--so often we have to be the bearer of bad news to the little ones we love. But, gravity is real and I can't make it go away! Even for my beloved B.

She seemed to take the news pretty well and has moved on to other pursuits. I'm sure she'll try again, though. Rules, after all, are made to be tested, at least if you're three--that's a law even MORE concrete than gravity. :)

2 comments:

I got the Joy said...

tooo cute....wish I could fly-

Kendra

Kimberly said...

that is the cutest little story