Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Top Ten Reasons I Can't Wait For Fall


Summer, we need to talk. It's been fun and all, but I'm ready for something different. I've got another season on my mind. Namely, fall. Here are the top 10 reasons I can't wait to say "see ya!" to summer and welcome my favorite season, fall.

1. Preschool! When school starts September 1, Bianca can finally see the friends she’s missed all summer long. Plus, I won’t have to hear “Mommy, I’m bored! Take me to the swimming pool zoo library store mall park climbing place grandma’s house right NOW!" on repeat, all day long.

2. Apple pies. Our apple tree is dripping with almost-ripe apples that should be ready to pick next month. I am an impatient gardener…I want to pick those babies, now!

3. Football. Oddly, I’m looking forward to football season this year. Mainly because my husband enjoys it so much, and I love watching him put on his lucky Seahawks jersey and get as excited as a little kid on Christmas morning on game day.

4. And end to Summer Pressure. Summer in Washington state is amazingly brief. It lasts a nanosecond (otherwise known as the month of August). This means that the instant the temperature tops 70, the summer pressure starts: we absolutely MUST get outside to take advantage of every last second, because it will all be over soon! I love summer (i.e. August) but I don’t love the constant pressure to squeeze every last drop out of every fleeting second.

5. New school haircuts and clothes. What mom doesn’t love seeing their kiddo look spiffy? I can’t wait to dig out the new school clothes I’ve bought and squirreled away.

6. New fall TV. I have lots of drawer-organizing and paperwork-sorting to do, and I’m saving it for fall so that I can do it while watching new episodes of Modern Family and How I Met Your Mother.

7. The return of my Uggs. They may be ugly, and I don’t even know if they’re fashionable anymore, but oh, how I love them.

8. Storytime. The return of community activities like the weekly storytime at our local library means that we’ll have some ready-made playdates and an excuse to get out of the house.

9. Holidays. I’m a fall-holiday kind of gal. Halloween? Love it. Thanksgiving? Bring it on. Sure, both holidays involve sweet treats, but I’m more excited about seeing my kids dressed up and having fun with family and friends.

10. Soups and Casseroles. I’m ready for a break from the summertime routine of nonstop hot dogs, burgers, and salads. And fall means soup weather! Every fall I set aside a couple of weekend days to fill the freezer with soups and casseroles. Easy, healthy meals that don’t involve a barbeque. Hooray!

ANOTHER REASON TO LOOK FORWARD TO FALL: A possible end to never-ending diaper chores. Mia picked yesterday to start potty training. She's only one, so this may be a fluke, and I suspect that her love of wasting toilet-paper has something to do with her potty enthusiasm. That reminds me--I need to go and buy more!


3 comments:

Christina Katz said...

Ditto! My favorite season. :)

Kimberly said...

While I LOVE summer because of the long days and warm weather, you just got me all excited for Fall as well. :)

Malia said...

We already have some leaves falling in the backyard! So strange that by the time it finally warms up here, it's practically fall.