Saturday, July 16, 2011

Bianca's Vacation: A Short Interview

Sorry I've been MIA--we're shaking the sand out of our ears after a week and a half in Maui. It's our first trip to Hawaii with the kids (third trip there overall). It was everything Hawaii should be: relaxing, invigorating, and sweet-smelling. They say time slows down in Hawaii, but our time there went way too fast.

Since it's probably our first big family vacation that B will remember, I wanted to get her take on it. Easier said than done. (I'm a pretty experienced interviewer thanks to my article writing and corporate writing work, but she was a tough nut to crack. A very cute nut. But a tough one.)

So, here they are: Bianca's Vacation Memories (as told to her mom)

What was the best part of vacation?

The airplane.

The airplane? Really? Not the glass-bottom boat or the ocean center? Why the airplane?

Because we were up really high and we got lots of treats. I kind of felt scared, but I didn’t tell you. Because I felt shy.

Did you see lots of turtles in Hawaii?

Yes. We saw turtles every day.

What were their names?

They didn’t really have names. But they did have mommies, and their mommies had big, fat heads.

OK. Did you have fun at mommy and daddy’s wedding ceremony? (Actually, our 10-year vow-renewal, but that whole concept was a little complex for a 4-year-old.)

Yes. I wore a pretty dress, and so did you.

I’m glad you had fun. But why were you crying?

I was crying because I wanted you to hold me while you got married.

Oh. I didn’t know that. I’m sorry, honey.

That’s OK.

Do you want to go back to Hawaii when you’re bigger?

Yes. When Mia is a little bigger, too.

Did we eat lots of good food in Hawaii? What was your favorite? The pineapples, mangoes, or the coconut ice cream?

The spaghetti. (Note: this was a meal I made back at the condo, and something we have all the time at home. Go figure.)

Anything else you remember about our vacation?

Um. Mama, can you stop talking to me? I’m trying to watch Charlie and Lola.

And there you have it! She was a great traveler, and I can't wait to take the kids back in a few years. (Someone on the airplane back to Seattle was complaining about how difficult it was to travel and fly with a three-year-old and a six-year-old. From where I was sitting, holding my thrashing 19-month-old and trying to keep her from smearing cookie crumbs on the bald spot of the guy in front of me, those ages seemed pretty ideal. I cannot WAIT to travel with a three-year-old and a six-year-old!)

Here's a link to our vow renewal photos by Karma Hill (Chi Omega sorority sister and pro photographer extraordinaire).


4 comments:

Kora said...

Love the interview with B :)

Abby said...

LOL! Hilarious interview. My husband sometime interviews the kids on video & it's so great to have that record. I didn't know you renewed your vows! I TOTALLY want to do that for my 10-yr anniversary in 2yrs. Hubs doesn't understand that at all, but maybe if we do it in Hawaii that'll convince him. :) Off to look at your photos now!

Abby said...

You look gorgeous - all of you! And the pics of the girls melting down are Just. Perfect.

Malia said...

Thanks! Abby, my husband was pretty lukewarm on the vow-renewal thing (apparently he "meant his vows the first time he said them" or something like that) so I compromised--we'll renew every 10 years and we'll do it someplace cool. I'm hoping to do Italy for our 20th!