Sunday, June 21, 2009

Deuce


Lookit our baby!

There's a significance to my last post date of March 1: a few days later I learned I was pregnant with number two, and I was about to embark on a roller-coaster ride of exhaustion and nausea. I was lucky to shower, let alone update the blog. Now that I'm halfway through the pregnancy and feeling better, it's time to dust off my blogging skills again!

On Friday, Steve and I took Bianca to daycare for the morning and had our "big" ultrasound. The baby was very wiggly (we had deja vu--the ultrasound tech at our old OB office always commented on how active B was during her scans) and we didn't get many good pics.

Since I'd like to be surprised by the sex at birth and Steve wants to find out (and I support his right to know just as much as I support my right not to!), I had to hide my eyes for a good portion of the scan. Baby was doing some fancy footwork and the tech had to work fast, but he did manage to discover the gender and printed out a picture for Steve, who opened the envelope and looked as soon as we were out of the office. So now he knows, and I don't. I thought it might feel strange, but it doesn't--life goes on. :) I'm excited for him to know, and he's excited for the baby to hurry up and get here so I can find out. The envelope is now hidden in some deep, dark location. When it comes to all presents and surprises, Steve treats me like a five-year-old (rightfully so!) and doesn't trust me not to look.

Right afterward, we had my VBAC consult with my OB. I signed my consent form and as long as the rest of the pregnancy goes to plan, I'm good to go! Printed right on the consent form were a few interesting facts: a VBAC delivery is actually less risky than a repeat C-section with lower risks for bleeding, infection, and other complications (so why all the fuss--and why don't more people know this???) and Tacoma General Hospital has a 91% success rate for VBAC deliveries. Good news all around! I plan on going to a few ICAN Seattle (International Cesarean Awareness Network) support group meetings later this summer in an effort to surround myself with VBAC success stories and support.

Steve and I both commented that it was nice to spend an entire morning focused on Deuce, as we've been calling this one--a slang word of Steve's that means "two" (I don't like calling the baby "it"). We're so wrapped up in caring for B that weeks go by with barely any discussion of the pregnancy. I'm feeling more and more pregnant, with more and more kicking, so at least my days of forgetting that I'm even pregnant are probably over!

One of the feet that's kicking me.

1 comment:

Kora said...

I'm so excited for you guys! I didn't realize Steve was going to find out...that's tricky :).